- Of, relating to, or becoming an unstable and transient but relatively long-lived condition of a chemical or actual system, since a supersaturated solution or an excited atom.
- Of or related to a physical or chemical suggest that is reasonably long-lived, but may decay to a lower life expectancy energy condition when a little perturbed or through a quantum transition.
- (of actual methods) continuing in its present state of balance unless sufficiently disturbed to pass through to a far more stable condition of equilibrium
- In phys. ehem., having a stability of such type that a moment impressed modification of circumstances may produce a disturbance perhaps not proportional to the impressed modification.
- In thermodynamics, in a state intermediate between steady balance and unstable equilibrium, but approaching stability because almost as circumstances will allow.
Sentence for "metastable"
Same Context for "metastable"