- any one of different solitary wasps, specially of the subfamily Eumeninae, that develop nests of mud.
- A potter wasp.
- any wasp that constructs its nest, or brood cells, of hardened dirt. The female fills the cells with pests or spiders, paralyzed by a sting, and thus provides food because of its larvæ.
- An aculeate hymenopterous insect for the genus Odynerus, family members Vespidæ; a type of individual wasp: so called from the ingenuity with which it constructs its habitations in sand, when you look at the plaster of walls, etc. O. murarius is an illustration.
- solitary wasp that constructs nests of hardened mud or clay when it comes to younger
- any one of various solitary wasps that construct nests of hardened dirt for his or her young
Hypernym for "mason wasp"
- sphecoid wasp
- View More