- A mineral with similar structure as pyrite, FeS2, but differing in crystal structure. Also called white iron pyrites.
- An ornament of pyrite, polished metallic, or white material.
- A pale mineral, FeS2. Marcasite is actually and crystallographically distinct from pyrite, even though two have the same chemical composition.
- A sulphide of iron resembling pyrite or common iron pyrites in structure, but differing in type; white iron pyrites.
- As employed by the early mineralogists, the crystallized kinds of iron pyrites, including even more specially the isometric types today known as pyrite.
- In recent usage, the orthorhombic iron pyrites, or iron disulphid, FeS2.
Sentence for "marcasite"
- Scarce a single advertisement of wares…
Synonym for "marcasite"