- the key springtime in a mechanical unit, particularly a watch or time clock, that drives the method by uncoiling.
- the main motivating force: the mainspring of a reform activity.
- the main spring of a clockwork device, that pushes it by uncoiling.
- the most crucial reason behind some thing.
- the key or vital spring in a piece of system, particularly the moving spring of a wristwatch or time clock or perhaps the springtime in a gunlock which impels the hammer.
- The principal springtime of every piece of apparatus, because, in a gun-lock, the springtime which works the hammer; particularly, the coiled spring of a watch or other watch.
- The impelling reason behind any action; the inciting motive.
- the main springtime in a mechanical device (especially a clock or view); whilst uncoils it drives the method
Sentence for "mainspring"
Quotes for "mainspring"
- "The imagination is the spur of…"
Hypernym for "mainspring"
Same Context for "mainspring"