- Botany A plant that expands on stone and derives its nourishment chiefly from environment.
- Zoology An organism, such as for example red coral, which have a stony construction.
- Any plant that life grows on rocks, acquiring nourishment from rain and also the atmosphere.
- Any system, including a coral, resembling a stony plant.
- a difficult, or stony, plantlike organism, due to the fact gorgonians, corals, and corallines, esp. those gorgonians having a calcareous axis. All lithophytes except the corallines are creatures.
- Any one associated with polyps whoever material is stony or difficult, as corals and sea-fans. The older naturalists classed them with plants, whence the name.
- In phytogeography, any plant which expands upon the surface of stones or rocks, aerial or submerged, with or without presence of humus: sometimes in opposition to chasmophyte (which see).
- plant that grows on stones or stony soil and derives nutrition through the environment
- Definition for "lithophyte"
- Botany A plant that expands on stone and…
- View More
- Sentence for "lithophyte"
- Hypernym for "lithophyte"
- Form for "lithophyte"