- A light entertaining, nonsensical, or bawdy verse of five anapestic lines generally aided by the rhyme plan aabba.
- A humorous, often bawdy verse of five anapestic outlines, because of the rhyme system aabba, and typically has a 9-9-6-6-9 cadence.
- A humorous, often nonsensical, and sometimes risqé poem of five anapestic lines, of which lines 1, 2, and 5 are of three feet, and rhyme, and lines 3 and 4 are of two feet, and rhyme.
- A nonsense tune or verse, certainly one of a few impromptu productions of a free personality, sung at convivial parties in Ireland.
- A nonsense verse of a set type, almost amusing, for the pattern of these compiled by Edward Lear in the “Book of Nonsense.” See Learic. The following is a good example:
- port city in southwestern Ireland
- a humorous verse type of 5 anapestic lines with a rhyme system aabba
- Definition for "limerick"
- A light entertaining, nonsensical, or bawdy verse of…
- View More
- Sentence for "limerick"
- Quotes for "limerick"
- "Since this war began our sympathy…"
- View More
- Hypernym for "limerick"
- Same Context for "limerick"
- Urban Dictionary for "limerick"