Definition for "legate"
- the state emissary, especially the official agent of…
Sentence for "legate"
Synonym for "legate"
Hypernym for "legate"
Same Context for "legate"
Urban Dictionary for "legate"
- the state emissary, especially the official agent of the pope.
- A deputy representing the Pope, particularly a papal ambassador delivered on special ecclesiastical missions.
- An ambassador or messenger.
- The deputy of a provincial governor or general in ancient Rome.
- An ambassador or envoy.
- An ecclesiastic representing the pope and spent using the expert associated with the Holy See.
- An official assistant given to a general or to the governor of a province.
- Under the emperors, a governor sent to a province.
- A person commissioned to represent a state, or the highest authority in the state, in a foreign state or court; a deputy; an ambassador.
- Specifically In Roman history, a foreign envoy plumped for by the senate, or a lieutenant of a general or of a consul or other magistrate in the government of an army or a province.
- One who is delegated because of the Pope as his agent within the overall performance of particular ecclesiastical or political features, or both.
- A legacy.
- an associate of a legation
- To bequeath; offer by will; give and bequeath.