- A notched and grooved, typically metal apply which turned to start or close a lock.
- the same unit utilized for starting or winding: the main element of a-clock; a can with an integral affixed.
- an easy method of accessibility, control, or possession.
- A vital, vital factor.
- some answers to a test.
- A table, gloss, or cipher for decoding or interpreting.
- a computer device, such a wedge or pin, placed to secure together mechanical or structural parts.
- Architecture The keystone when you look at the crown of an arch.
- A button or lever which depressed to work a device.
- A button that is depressed to cause a corresponding personality or function become typed or executed by a typewriter or even to be acknowledged as feedback by some type of computer.
- Music A button or lever that is depressed with all the little finger to produce or modulate the sound of a musical instrument, particularly a clarinet or piano.
- songs A tonal system consisting of seven shades in fixed relationship to a tonic, having a characteristic key trademark and being the architectural foundation of the majority of Western music; tonality.
- musical The principal tonality of a work: an etude within the key of E.
- The pitch of a voice or any other sound.
- A characteristic tone or level of power, at the time of a speech or product sales promotion. Often utilized in combination: high-key; low-key.
- Botany A samara.
- a plan regarding the distinguishing characteristics of a group of organisms, used as a guide in taxonomic identification.
- Basketball a place at each and every end associated with the court between your base line and the foul line and like the jump-ball group on nasty line: a jump shot through the top of the secret.
- A low overseas area or reef, particularly in the gulf coast of florida; a cay.
- Slang A kilogram of cannabis, cocaine, or heroin.
- An object made to start and close a lock.
- An object built to fit between two various other objects (eg a shaft and a wheel) in a mechanism and maintain their general positioning.
- A crucial action or requirement.
- helpful tips outlining the symbols or language of a map or chart; a legend.
- A guide towards the correct responses of a worksheet or test.
- one of many tiny, frequently square buttons on a typewriter or computer keyboard, mostly matching to text figures.
- among some rectangular going components on a piano or musical keyboard, each causing a specific noise or note becoming created.
- among different levers on a musical instrument familiar with select records, such as a lever opening a hole on a woodwind.
- A hierarchical scale of music notes where a composition is situated
- A manual electrical changing unit mainly used for the transmission of Morse signal.
- A piece of information (example. a passphrase) accustomed encode or decode a note or messages.
- In a relational database, a field made use of as an index into another table (not necessarily special).
- A value that exclusively identifies an entry in an associative array.
- The free-throw lane with the circle surrounding the free-throw range, the free-throw lane having previously been narrower, offering the region the shape of a skeleton key hole.
- a number of logically organized categories of discriminating information which is designed to permit the user to correctly recognize a taxon.
- among a sequence of little countries.
- a guitar by means of which the bolt of a lock is shot or attracted; often, a removable steel instrument fitted to the apparatus of a certain lock and managed by-turning in its spot.
- a tiny product that is inserted into a mechanism and turned like a vital to fasten, adjust, or breeze it
- certainly one of a collection of little movable parts on an instrument or machine which, when you are depressed, functions as the method of running it; the whole set of secrets is normally known as the keyboard; The keys may run components of the instrument by a mechanical action, as on a piano, or by closing an electrical circuit, because on a pc keyboard. See in addition senses 12 and 13.
- A position or condition which affords entry, control, pr control, etc..
- That element of a mechanism which serves to lock-up, make quickly, or adjust to place.
- an item of wood used as a wedge.
- The last board of a floor when set down.
- A keystone.
- That area of the plastering that will be forced through between your laths and holds the rest in position.
- A wedge to unite a couple of pieces, or adjust their relative position; a cotter; a forelock.
- A bar, pin or wedge, to secure a crank, pulley, coupling, etc., upon a shaft, and prevent general turning; often keeping by rubbing alone, but with greater regularity by its weight to shearing, becoming usually embedded partly inside shaft and partially when you look at the crank, pulley, etc.
- An indehiscent, one-seeded fresh fruit furnished with a wing, while the fresh fruit of the ash and maple; a samara; -- called additionally crucial good fresh fruit.
- a household of tones whoever regular members are called diatonic shades, and known as crucial tone (or tonic) or one (or eight), mediant or three, principal or five, subdominant or four, submediant or six, supertonic or two, and subtonic or seven. Chromatic shades tend to be short-term people in an integral, under these types of names as “ sharp four,” “flat seven,” etc. Scales and tunes of any variety are manufactured from the shades of an integral.
- the basic tone of a movement to which its modulations are introduced, in accordance with which it typically starts and concludes; keynote.
- Fig: the typical pitch or tone of a sentence or utterance.
- A metallic lever through which the circuit of the sending or transferring section of a station equipment may be effortlessly and rapidly started and closed.
- any device for shutting or opening a power circuit, especially within a keyboard, as which used at some type of computer terminal or teletype terminal.
- A simplified variation or analysis which accompanies anything as a clue to its description, a novel or table containing the answers to dilemmas, ciphers, allegories, or perhaps the want
- A word or any other mixture of symbols which serves as an index distinguishing and pointing to a particular record, file, or area which are often retrieved and presented by some type of computer system. If the secret is a word, it is also called a keyword.
- a musical instrument for fastening or opening a lock, fitted to its wards, and modified, on becoming placed and turned or pressed inside keyhole, to push a bolt one way or perhaps the various other, or even raise a catch or latch; in some complicated hair, a portable appliance which on becoming inserted when you look at the appropriate devote the lock lifts tumblers or in various other means permits the bolt become shot without it self working out force upon it.
- For this reason One thing viewed as analogous to a vital, in being an easy method of starting or making clear what's shut or obscure; specifically, that by way of which (often in the form of which alone) some difficulty is overcome, some obstacle removed, some end attained, something unintelligible explained, etc: as, the answer to knowledge; Gibraltar is the key towards Mediterranean; a key into option of an algebraic problem; a vital to an algebra or arithmetic (a novel giving the perfect solution is of mathematical problems recommended as workouts such text-books); the answer to a cipher.
- In mech.: A hand-tool for controlling a valve, moving a nut, etc., which will be independent of the part is relocated. Inside sense a spanner, wrenc'h, bedstead-wrench, etc., are secrets.
- Any unit for wedging up or securing together different parts, or for jamming or joining all of them to stop vibration or sliding.
- A bolt which protects the cap-square to your cheek of a gun-carriage. See cut-under guncarriage.
- In masonry, the central stone of an arch or vault, usually the uppermost stone; the keystone (although in a true arch no one of the voussoirs is more important to the stability of the structure than any other). See cut under arch, In carpentry: A piece inserted in the back of a board to prevent warping. The last board in a series of floor-boards, tapering in shape, and serving when driven home to hold the others in place. The roughing on the under side of a veneer, designed to assist it in holding the glue.
- In bookbinding, certainly one of a few tiny tools employed by the sewer of a book to help keep the rings in place if the sections of the guide come in a sewing-bench. These are generally made from metal or real wood, shaped like a yoke, and/or page U, and of the dimensions 1 by 3 inches.
- A joint to aid in supporting a train of rods plus the resources in a tube-well.
- A wrench or lever for tuning stringed devices of fixed intonation, like pianoforte together with harp; a tuning-wrench or tuning-hammer.
- The excess mortar or plaster that passes involving the laths, and acts to carry the plastering in position.
- A hollow cut in the back of a tile or terra-cotta ornament, or on a wall, to hold mortar or cement.
- In musical instruments: In instruments especially of wood-wind group, a lever and valve operated because of the player's hand, and created either to open up or to close a hole or vent in the region of the tube, in order to alter the pitch of the tone by altering the length of the vibrating air-column within.
- In tools with a keyboard, like the organ together with pianoforte, the levers which are depressed within the work of playing.
- A part pressed because of the little finger to control the action of a typewriter or other similar device, in the way of a musical keyed instrument.
- anybody of the various forms of circuitcloser utilized in electrical experiments and in the practical applications of electrical energy. See telegraph.
- In songs: In musical theory, the sum relations, melodic and harmonic, which occur involving the shades of a great scale, significant or minor, plus which its unity and Individuality tend to be included; tonality.
- In music theory and notation, the tonality centering in a given tone, or perhaps the several shades taken collectively, of a given scale, major or small.
- (The crosses mark the degree belonging to the key-note.) The sharps together with flats this kind of signatures are counted from left to correct; in sharp signatures the position for the key-note is obviously one level above the final razor-sharp, while in flat signatures it is usually on the same level because of the final flat but one. This provides a rule for finding the keynote from each signature except those associated with keys of C and of F. The key-notes for the razor-sharp secrets, used direct purchase, tend to be distant from a single another either by a fifth upward or a fourth downward, because will be the key-notes of fiat tips, consumed inverse purchase. These signatures may also be utilized for small secrets, the key-notes of these secrets being iu each instance two degrees underneath the key-notes as offered for major keys. The most important and small tips which use similar trademark tend to be called relatives of each other. See general. (See circle of secrets, under group.) The complete system of keys as described above is trained upon the keyboard regarding the organ plus the pianoforte, and as a consequence is essentially arbitrary. It's no basis in phenomena of noise and/or necessities of music as an art. Its complexity is due typically into the iuadequate medieval theory of songs, and secondarily into arbitrary instrumental system and also the notation that expanded out-of that theory. Of the numerous tries to enhance or replace the machine, the tonic sol-fa notation is the absolute most effective. See notation, and tonic sol-fa (under tonic).
- In music notation, a sign during the mind of an employee indicating one of the keys as above defined.
- Scale of strength; degree of power; pitch; height.
- A dry winged good fresh fruit like this of maple, ash, elm, etc.; a samara. See cut under Acer.
- A rudder; a helm.
- an integral (tonality) which on the keyboard requires the use of a number of black or chromatic secrets (digitals), and on the staff necessitates a signature of just one or more sharps or flats.
- the most important key (tonality) of C: so named because on keyboard it involves the use of only white digitals, or naturals.
- A wharf. See quay.
- a reduced island nearby the coast: used specifically from the coasts of regions in which Spanish is or formerly had been spoken: as, the Florida tips.
- See Keys.
- In printing, the circular ratchet that closes or uncloses patent, quoins of metal.
- A wooden pin for fastening hides together as they are now being limed.
- a generic term regarding device whoever possession entitles the owner to a way of access
- (basketball) a space (like the foul range) in front of the container at each and every end of a basketball judge; frequently painted a different color from the remaining portion of the judge
- the main source at the top of an arch or vault
- a kilogram of a narcotic medication
- a lever (as in a keyboard) that actuates a mechanism when despondent
- pitch regarding the sound
- united states of america attorney and poet which typed a poem after witnessing the Uk assault on Baltimore during War of 1812; the poem had been later on set-to music and entitled `The Star-Spangled Banner' (1779-1843)
- material product shaped so that whenever it's placed into the appropriate lock the lock's system are rotated
- any one of 24 significant or minor diatonic scales that provide the tonal framework for an item of music
- technical unit accustomed wind another device that's driven by a spring (as a clock)
- a coral reef from the southern shore of Florida
- a list of answers to a test
- some thing essential for explaining
- a list of words or expressions that describe signs or abbreviations
- a winged usually one-seed indehiscent good fresh fruit since the ash or elm or maple
- Of vital significance; considerable: key choices; the main element component of the thesis.
- Indispensable, supremely crucial.
- essential, salient.
- crucial; primary.
- providing as an important component
- To lock with or as though with a key.
- Architecture To provide (an arch) with a keystone.
- Music To regulate the pitch of.
- to carry into harmony; change or adapt.
- to produce an explanatory key for.
- to work (a computer device), as for typesetting, by way of a keyboard.
- To enter (information) into some type of computer in the shape of a keyboard.
- to determine (a biological specimen).
- To vandalize or mar by scraping with an integral: Vandals keyed the automobiles left inside parking garage.
- To fasten or secure securely; to fasten or tighten with secrets or wedges.
- To enter (text, information) utilizing keys, especially those on a keyboard; to keyboard.
- to modify in order to be maximally effective in a specific scenario; -- of activities, programs, or message.
- To provide with an integral or keys.
- to cover close interest; focus: improved solution by keying on consumer complaints; keyed in from the main points of lecture.
- Sports To watch or cover an opposing player closely in an effort to limit the player's effectiveness. Used with on: "[She] still carries the burden of scoring ... even though opponents key on her throughout every game” ( Josh Barr).
- key up to produce intense, excited, or nervous.
- in key In consonance along with other elements.
- regarding secret maybe not in consonance with other elements.
- to match (a lock) with a vital.
- To fit (bits of a mechanical set up) with a key to keep the orientation among them.
- To mark or show with symbolic indicating account in a class.
- To depress (a telegraph key).
- To operate (the transmitter switch of a two-way radio).
- (more often to input) To enter (information) by typing on a keyboard or keypad.
- To vandalize (a car, etc.) by scraping with an implement such as for example an integral.
- To link (together might do with an integral or legend).
- (biology, chiefly taxonomy) To be identified as a particular taxon when utilizing a vital.
- harmonize with or adjust to
- vandalize a car by scraping the sides with a key
- control the musical pitch of
- provide with an integral
- determine like in botany or biology, for example
- To fasten with an integral, or with a wedge-shaped bit of metal or wood; fasten or secure firmly.
- to manage the tone of by way of an integral, or to set to a key or pitch by any means, as a musical instrument: since, to key up a violin.
Definition for "key"
- A notched and grooved, typically metal apply which…
- View More
Sentence for "key"
- _The key to the proper control…
- View More
Quotes for "key"
- "Leadership is the key to 99…"
- View More
Synonym for "key"
- View More
Verb Forms for "key"
- View More
Phrases for "key"
- key battleground
- View More
Rhyme for "key"
- View More
Hyponym for "key"
- View More
Hypernym for "key"
- positive identification
- View More
Cross Reference for "key"
- remote key
- View More
Equivalent for "key"
- View More
Form for "key"
- key off
- View More
Same Context for "key"
- View More
Urban Dictionary for "key"
- simply perfect... one of those items…
- View More
Sports Dictionary for "key"
- The keyhole-shaped location extending through the…
- View More