- A public clamor, since protest or need: raised outstanding hue and cry about political corruption.
- The quest for a felon announced with noisy shouts to alert other individuals who had been after that lawfully bound to offer chase.
- The loud outcry previously used in these types of a pursuit.
- the general public pursuit of a felon; combined with shouts to warn others to give chase.
- A loud and persistent public clamour; especially one of protest or making some demand.
- a loud outcry with which felons were anciently pursued, and which all who heard it were obliged to take up, joining in the pursuit till the malefactor was taken; in later usage, a written proclamation issued on the escape of a felon from prison, requiring all persons to aid in retaking him.
- noisy and persistent outcry from people
Hypernym for "hue and cry"
- View More