- any one of several deciduous woods of this genus Ostrya, specially O. virginiana of eastern North America, having unisexual flowers grouped in catkins and fruit groups resembling hops.
- A tree of the species Ostrya virginiana
- Its lumber.
- an American tree associated with the genus Ostrya (Ostrya Virginica) the United states ironwood; in addition, a European types (Ostrya vulgaris).
- See under Hop.
- The United states ironwood, Ostrya Virginica: so-called from resemblance of the inflated involucre towards good fresh fruit of jump.
- any one of several trees resembling hornbeams with fruiting clusters resembling hops
Definition for "hop hornbeam"
- any one of several deciduous woods of this…
Hyponym for "hop hornbeam"
Hypernym for "hop hornbeam"