- Judaism The sanctuary within the tabernacle in Temple of Jerusalem, in which the Ark regarding the Covenant ended up being kept.
- Eastern Orthodox Church The bema or sanctuary in a church.
- someplace of awe.
- alternate spelling of Holy of Holies.
- (Judaism) sanctuary made up of the innermost chamber associated with the Tabernacle into the temple of Solomon where Ark of the Covenant had been held
- (figurative) anything considered sacred or inviolable
- the innermost apartment associated with Jewish tabernacle or temple, where in fact the ark was kept, and where no person entered, except the high priest one per year.
Quotes for "holy of holies"
- "Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement,…"
Hypernym for "holy of holies"