- any one of various nonvenomous North and Central United states snakes associated with genus Thamnophis, having longitudinal stripes.
- any one of different nonvenomous snakes associated with genus Thamnophis, indigenous to America, with longitudinal stripes.
- one of several benign US snakes for the genus Eutænia, of a number of species (esp. E. saurita and E. sirtalis); one of many striped snakes; -- so-called from the conspicuous stripes of color.
- the most popular title in the us of the grass-snakes or ribbon-snakes of genus Eutænia, harmless and incredibly pretty species of a greenish or brown shade with long yellow stripes.
- some of many nonvenomous longitudinally-striped viviparous us and Central United states snakes
Hyponym for "garter snake"
Hypernym for "garter snake"