- any one of numerous tropical ocean wild birds associated with the family Fregatidae having long powerful wings, dark plumage, and a hooked beak and characteristically snatch meals off their wild birds in-flight. Also known as man-o'-war bird.
- Alternative spelling of frigatebird.
- a web-footed rapacious bird, associated with the genus Fregata; -- labeled as additionally man-of-war bird, and frigate pelican. Two types are known; that the south united states of america and West Indies is F. aquila. These are typically remarkable for his or her lengthy wings and powerful journey. Their particular meals consists of fish that they obtain by robbing gulls, terns, also birds, of their victim. They've been regarding the pelicans.
- A large marine bird, the Fregata aquila or Tachypetes aquilus alongside types of equivalent genus, from the household Fregatidæ or Tachypetidæ and order Steganopodes or Totipalmatæ, noted for abilities of flight and raptorial personality, found near land of many regarding the warmer seas associated with world.
- long-billed warm-water seabird with broad wingspan and forked end
Hypernym for "frigate bird"
- pelecaniform seabird
- View More