- dilatation: for instance, bronchiectasis, which relates to a pathologic dilatation of the bronchi for the lung.
- The lengthening of a syllable from brief to long.
- The lengthening of a syllable from quick to long.
- In anc. orthoëpy and prosody: The pronunciation of a vowel as long.
- The lengthening or protraction of a vowel often brief. See diastole.
- In old rhetoric: The use of a lengthy vowel or syllable in part of a clause or phrase where it'll produce an unique rhythmical effect.
- the usage of a kind of a word longer than that commonly used. This really is usually called paragoge.
- dilatation or distension of a hollow organ
Hyponym for "ectasis"
Hypernym for "ectasis"