- dimension associated with the skull to find out its characteristics as related to sex, competition, or body type.
- The practice of using dimensions of this skull.
- The art or act of measuring skulls.
- The dimension of skulls; the topographical relations ascertained by these types of measurements.
- listed here are the things of measurement, outlines, and sides upon which craniometry is dependent: the alveolar point, the purpose at center regarding the edge of top of the jaw, involving the middle two incisors (A); the asterion, the idea behind the ear where in fact the parietal, temporal, and occipital bones satisfy (B); the auricular point, the center of the orifice of the external auditory meatus (C); the basion, the center point for the anterior margin associated with the foramen magnum, corresponding constantly in place to D; the bregma, the point of meeting of this coronal and sagittal sutures (age); the dacryon, the idea privately regarding the nose where frontal, lacrymal, and exceptional maxillary bones meet (F); the glabella, the idea in the median line between the superciliary arches, marked by a swelling, occasionally by a depression (G); the gonion, the purpose at direction of this lower jaw (H); the inion, the exterior occipital protuberance (we); the jugal point, the idea situated within perspective that the posterior border associated with frontal branch of malar bone tissue tends to make utilizing the exceptional edge of the zygomatic branch (J); the lambda, the point of meeting of the sagittal using lambdoidal suture (K); the malar point, a place situated regarding tubercle in the additional area regarding the malar bone tissue, or, if this is desiring, the intersection of a line attracted (almost vertically) through the exterior extremity of frontomalar suture to your tubercle at the inferior angle of the malar and a line attracted nearly horizontally from the substandard edge associated with the orbit throughout the malar toward superior edge of zygomatic arch (L); the utmost occipital point, or occipital point, the posterior extremity for the anteroposterior diameter of this head measured from glabella in-front on many distant point behind, within the neighborhood of O; the emotional point, the center point for the anterior lip regarding the lower edge of this reduced jaw (P); the metopic point, a spot at the center line between your two front eminences (Q); the nasion, or nasal point, the center of the frontonasal suture at the base of the nose (R); the obelion, the the main sagittal suture involving the two parietal foramina (S); the ophryon, the middle of the supraorbital range which, attracted over the narrowest part of the forehead, distinguishes the face area from the cranium: also referred to as the supraorbital and supranasal (T); the opisthion, the middle point for the posterior edge associated with the foramen magnum (U); the pterion, where the frontal, parietal, temporal, and sphenoid bones bond (V); the stephanion, the main point where the coronal suture crosses the temporal ridge (W); the subnasal point, the center of the inferior edge of anterior nares at the foot of the nasal back: also called vertebral point (X); as well as the supra-auricular point, the idea vertically across auricular point at the base of the zygomatic procedure. Listed here craniometrical outlines tend to be distinguished: the facial distinct Camper, a line tangent on glabella and the anterior area associated with the incisor teeth (1 1); the type of Daubenton, a line drawn through the opisthion therefore the projection (regarding the median plane regarding the head) of the lower edge of orbit (2 2); the basi-alveolar range, a line attracted through basion and alveolar point (3 3); the minimum frontal line, the shortest transverse measurement associated with the forehead (maybe not shown inside figure); the naso-al-veolar range, the range passing through the nasal and alveolar things (4 4); and the nasobasilar range, the range attracted through basion and nasal point (5 5). An alveolocondylean plane can also be distinguished: it's the plane driving through the alveolar point, and tangent to the condyles, represented by the range 6 6. Listed below are the craniometrical perspectives: the basilar position, that amongst the nasobasilar and basi-alveolar lines (RDA); the position of condyles, the direction that the jet of occipital foramen kinds using the airplane associated with basilar groove; the coronofacial position of Gratiolet, the direction which the facial distinct Camper forms because of the airplane moving through coronal suture; the facial direction of Camper, the perspective between the facial type of Camper (1 1) and the line (7 7) attracted through the auricular and subnasal points; the facial direction of Cloquet, the angle amongst the line drawn through ophryon additionally the alveolar point as well as the auriculo-alveolar line (9 9)—that is, the angle TAC; the facial angle of Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire, the angle between your facial line of Camper additionally the range (10 10) attracted through the auricular point and also the edge of the incisors; the facial direction of Jacquart, the angle between the range drawn through the subnasal point in addition to glabella and also the line (7 7) attracted through subnasal and auricular points; the front angle, the angle TCE, created by outlines drawn from auricular point (C) (that's, the projection for the auricular things in the median airplane) into ophryon (T) and the bregma (E); the metafacial position of Serres, the perspective that the pterygoid procedures form aided by the foot of the skull; the nasobasal direction of Welcker, the position RXD, involving the nasobasilar and naso-subnasal outlines; the occipital angle of Broca, the direction RUD, or that amongst the lines attracted from opisthion (U) into basion and nasal points; the occipital direction of Daubenton, the perspective that the distinct Daubenton (2 2) makes using the line joining the basion (D) and opisthion (U); the parietal angle, the perspective created by the two outlines ZS and Z′ S′ (fig. 2) attracted through the extremities of transverse optimum or bizygomatic diameter as well as the optimum transverse front diameter (it's known as good with regards to opens up downward, bad whenever outlines meet underneath the skull also it opens up up); the angles of Segond, sides formed between lines attracted from basion (D) to your some other craniometrical things, the facial angle of Segond becoming the angle PDT, or that between the range driving through basion (D) and mental point (P) as well as the range driving through the basion (D) and ophryon (T), and the cerebral perspective of Segond becoming the angle UDT, or that involving the line moving through the basion (D) and ophryon (T) and the line moving through the basion (D) and opisthion (U); the sphenoidal position, the angle between outlines attracted through the basion and nasion to a spot in median line where in actuality the sloping anterior surface of this sella turcica passes over into the horizontal surface of olivary eminence; the symphysian position, the perspective that your profile of this symphysis of lower jaw tends to make aided by the jet of substandard border of this lower jaw; additionally the complete cranial direction, the direction UCT, measuring the cranial hole, between outlines attracted from the auricular indicate the ophryon also to the opisthion. These craniometrical diameters are distinguished: the most anteroposterior, the exact distance through the glabella to your furthest point regarding the occipital bone tissue (the utmost anteroposterior diameter of Welcker could be the anteroposterior metopic of Broca, and it is the length from metopic point out the furthest point behind); the utmost transverse, the best transverse diameter regarding the cranium, wherever discovered; additionally the vertical diameter, ordinarily the distance associated with basion from bregma, or, what exactly is nearly comparable to it, the exact distance from basion to the stage where line through basion at right angles into the alveolocondylean airplane intersects the cranial vault (but sometimes the range is attracted at right perspectives towards plane for the foramen magnum). The next craniometrical indices are distinguished: the alveolar or basilar index, the ratio associated with area of this area of the projection of the head on the median jet which is based on front associated with basion to the area of the whole projection, multiplied by 100; the cephalic index, or index of breadth, the ratio associated with maximum transverse into maximum anteroposterior diameter associated with the head, multiplied by 100; the cephalo-orbital index, the proportion of solid articles of this two orbits towards the items associated with cranial hole, increased by 100; the cephalospinal index, the proportion of measure of the foramen magnum in square millimeters to that of cranial hole in cubic centimeters, multiplied by 100; the cerebral list, the proportion of the most useful transverse into the greatest anteroposterior diameter of cranial cavity, multiplied by 100; the facial index, the proportion of distance of this ophryon from alveolar suggest the transverse diameter measured from 1 zygoma to the other, multiplied by 100; the gnathic or alveolar index, the proportion associated with length between the basion and alveolar point to the length between the basion and nasal point, multiplied by 100; the nasal index, the ratio of optimum breadth of the anterior orifice for the nostrils to the distance from nasal on subnasal point, increased by 100; the orbital index, the ratio regarding the straight to your transverse diameter of 1 of orbits, multiplied by 100; together with vertical index, or list of level, the ratio of this straight diameter for the head to the optimum anteroposterior diameter, multiplied by 100.
- the part of real anthropology working with the study and measurement of dry skulls after elimination of its soft parts
Definition for "craniometry"
- dimension associated with the skull to find out…
- View More
Sentence for "craniometry"
- It should be noted that during…
- View More
Hypernym for "craniometry"
- physical anthropology
- View More