- a form of church-government in which each local congregation is self-governing.
- the device of government and spiritual beliefs of a Protestant denomination which each member church is self-governing.
- Any of a few kinds of church business where each congregation is in charge of its very own federal government
- That system of chapel organization which vests all ecclesiastical energy in the assembled brotherhood of every regional church.
- The faith and polity of this Congregational churches, taken collectively.
- A system of church-government based on the autonomy of the specific congregation.
- [capitalized] the device of ecclesiastical polity and spiritual doctrine maintained because of the Congregational Church. See congregationalist, 2.
- system of thinking and church-government of a Protestant denomination which each user chapel is self-governing
Sentence for "congregationalism"
Hypernym for "congregationalism"
Etymologically Related for "congregationalism"