- any one of various parasitic protozoans belonging to the order Coccidia and accountable for a disease for the alimentary canal in livestock, fowl, and humans.
- any sporozoan associated with the order Coccidia, parasitic on the digestive epithelium of vertebrates and greater invertebrates. It's the causative representative of coccidiosis, which are often a challenge in poultry rearing.
- Pl. coccidia (-ä). In botany, a name given by Harvey to a type of conceptacle present in specific red algæ, borne on lateral limbs, or sessile on the surface of frond, and in most cases not opening by a pore. The spores within are attached to a central placenta.
- A genus of gregarines.
- [lowercase] One of the coccidiidea.
- parasitic on the digestive epithelium of vertebrates and higher invertebrates
Hypernym for "coccidium"
- View More