- A low-growing perennial plant whose dormant overwintering buds are borne at or just over the area of the ground.
- Any reasonable perennial plant whoever buds overwinter just above earth level
- a perennial plant that establishes its dormant vegetative buds only at or above the surface of the ground.
- A low-growing perennial plant whoever inactive overwintering buds tend to be borne at or just above the surface of surface.
- Any reduced perennial plant whose buds overwinter simply above earth level
- a perennial plant that establishes its inactive vegetative buds simply at or over the surface of the floor.