- A speech noise, particularly a glide or liquid, from narrowing although not preventing the singing region, as by putting an articulator, such as the tongue, near another area of the vocal area.
- a consonant noise created by a little narrowing the vocal region, while nevertheless permitting a smooth flow of air. Liquids and glides tend to be approximants.
- An approximation into the answer of a function, show, etc.
- Approaching in personality; approximating.
Sentence for "approximant"
- Remember the sonority hierarchy: fricative approximant…
Etymologically Related for "approximant"