- losing an initial, typically unstressed vowel, like in precious from intense.
- The loss of the initial unstressed vowel of a word.
- the increased loss of a short unaccented vowel at the beginning of a word; -- the result of a phonetic process.
- The gradual and accidental elimination of a brief unaccented vowel at the beginning of a word; a unique kind of apheresis, as with squire for esquire, down for adown, etc.
- the progressive disappearance of a preliminary (usually unstressed) vowel or syllable as with `squire' for `esquire'
Sentence for "aphesis"
Antonym for "aphesis"
Hypernym for "aphesis"
Etymologically Related for "aphesis"