- One of the tiny pedestals, for statues or other ornaments, placed on the apex as well as the basal sides of a pediment, or upon the gables in Gothic architecture.
- one of several pedestals, for vases or statues, forming a part roofing balustrade.
- one of many small pedestals, for statues or any other ornaments, put on the apex at the basal sides of a pediment. Acroteria may sometimes placed upon the gables in Gothic architecture.
- one of several pedestals, for vases or statues, forming a part roof balustrade.
- In classic arch., a little pedestal put on the apex or angle of a pediment for the assistance of a statue or other ornament.
- A statue or an ornament placed on these types of a pedestal.
- Any decoration creating the apex of a building or other structure, or of a monument, like the anthemia of Greek tombstones and/or decorations of some contemporary architectural balustrades. Compare antefix. Also referred to as acroter.
Sentence for "acroterium"
- The gables are each crowned with…
- View More