- One connected with: worldling.
- One having a specified quality: underling.
- One that is younger, tiny, or inferior: duckling.
- In a specified path, fashion, or problem: darkling.
- A diminutive modifier of nouns having either the physical feeling of "a younger, smaller or substandard version of what's denoted by the original noun", or perhaps the derived good sense suggesting possession of or experience of an excellent, which might getting the sense of "a follower or resident of what exactly is denoted because of the stem form".
- in the way or way suggested because of the primary stem (object.)
- A noun suffix, frequently having a diminutive or a depreciatory force; like in duckling, gosling, hireling, fosterling, firstling, underling.
- An adverbial suffix.